“If you have cosplay talent, bring it!” This is the mantra of the cosplay contests at St. Pete Comic Con 2022, which features two competitions with one Saturday and another on Sunday.
a weekend of cosplay contests
saturday contest: ‘craftsmanship’
The first cosplay competition is ‘Craftsmanship’ and is Saturday at 4:30 p.m. Categories and cash prizes of $500 include: Best in Show ($200), Master ($150), Journeyman ($100), Novice ($50).
Sunday contest: ‘runway’
And the second competition is ‘Runway,’ which is Sunday at 4 p.m. Categories include: Best in Show, Best Anime, Best Comic, Best Group, and Best Youth – all of whom will receive medals that give recipients various superpowers.
cosplay contest judging
St. Pete Comic Con is bringing in the top cosplayers in Florida to judge the cosplay contests. In fact, all of the guest cosplayers appearing at St. Pete Comic Con 2022 have been featured in Florida Cosplay Digital Magazine (most of them on the cover).
Fort Myers cosplayer @Avera_Cosplay (below, first row) is leading the team of cosplay talent that includes Saturday ‘Craftsmanship’ judges from Tampa @Dark.Lady.Cosplay (below, second row), from Orlando @MissTaurus.Cosplay_and_Art (below, third row) and from Jacksonville @SummerFireCosplay (below, fourth row); and Sunday ‘Runway’ judges from Jacksonville @SailorScoutsJax (below, fifth row). from Fort Lauderdale @AmazonCosplayer (below sixth row), and from Tampa @KDiddy3300 (below, seventh row).
News conference follows Saturday’s ‘Craftsmanship’ contest
A news conference-style panel in the balcony will immediately follow the ‘Craftsmanship’ contest on Saturday. The contest winners will be at one table and the judges at another, with con co-founder Dewey Caruthers serving as moderator. Media and fans will have the opportunity to ask questions of the winners and judges, who will provide expert analysis of the cosplays crafted for St. Pete Comic Con 2022.
Contest rules and judge guidelines
- Contest Registration will take place at the Avera Cosplay booth (in Cosplay Alley).
- Contestants will complete an entry form. For ‘Craftsmanship’ contestants will describe the crafting process and provide any additional documentation as needed. For ‘Runway’
- Roll Call will be at 3:30 each day (Saturday contest begins at 4:30 p.m., and Sunday contest at 4 p.m.). And all contestants need to be in the staging area at that time for line up. More details will be given when you sign up.
- When it is your turn on stage, strut your stuff and show off your cosplay. Please limit your time to 3 poses (approx. 30 seconds across the stage), so everyone has ample time to shine.
- Judges decisions are final.
Saturday contest categories and rules
Saturday Contest is at 4:30pm. Sign up will close at 3 pm or when we reach the cap of 50 entries.
- Master: This category is for professional seamstresses, cosplayers and prop makers AND People that have won major awards. Anyone that has won a Best in Show or Best Journeyman should enter Master.
- Journeyman: This category is for a person that has experience in competing but may still not be at the master level. If you have won Best Novice, you should enter Journeyman. If you have competed many times and won several judges awards and lower awards but never a major award this would be the right category as well.
- Novice: A person who has never competed or has never won any award at any competition.
- One costume per person. No separate entries from the same person. All entries must have purchased a ticket to St. Pete Comic Con.
- All costumes should come from an established cartoon, TV show, movie, comic book, anime, video game, manga, novel, movie or kpop/jpop artist. Note: If the character is obscure, an original redesign or mashup it may be helpful to have photos on hand or ready to show the judges.
- All contestants must fill out the entry form. Sign-ups will close 1 hour prior to the start of the contest or when slots are filled up (Cap is 100). Sign-ups are first come, first serve.
- 100 % Store-bought costumes are not allowed (store-bought costumes are for Sunday’s ‘Runway’ contest. Costumes must be at least 50% handmade. Handmade items can include: needlework, foam and armor making, props, upcycled and altered items, wigs that are styled, and kit bashing (taking commercial items and altering them: i.e. painting a toy gun). This is a craftsmanship competition; judges will be focused on technique; materials and overall quality of the costume.
- NO PETS! NO NUDITY! All costumes must be PG. No nudity or risqué costumes. No costume is no costume. No offensive or obscene costumes. Do no harm and use your best judgment. Costumes and props must adhere to the convention and hotel policies. The judges reserve the right to disqualify any entrant for any reason.
- Build Books or Reference materials are not required but are welcomed. You may submit at the time of sign up or during pre-judging. Pre-judging will be informal, during line up you will get 1-2 min with the judges to discuss your process. The judges will take this time to get a close look of your costume and ask any questions they may have.
- THE RE-RUN RULE: Costumes that have won a category or best in show award are not eligible to compete. Costumes should be made between 2021-2022. Minor alterations do not constitute a new costume. The judges and coordinator are VERY familiar with the Florida competition scene and will be checking to make sure that this rule is followed.
- No bad behavior. You know what that means. No trash talking, sabotage, or poor sportsmanship. Improper behavior will get you removed from the competition and possibly the convention. Remember, we’re all here to have fun.
- No harmful or potentially harmful materials will be allowed. This includes, but is not limited to water, cigarettes, flames, fireworks, silly string, and any other substance that can be fired, launched, or dripped.
- Groups are allowed up to 5 people max. You should enter your group in the division of the most experienced person. There is no age limit to compete.
CONTEST CASH PRIZES
- Best in Show: $200
- Best Masters: $150
- Best Journeyman: $100
- Best Novice: $50
Sunday contest categories and rules
Sunday Contest is at 4:00pm. Sign up will close at 3:00 pm or when we reach the cap of 50 entries.
- Best Video Game
- Best TV/Movie
- Best Comic
- Best Anime
- Best Craftsmanship
- Best Youth
- Best in Show
- Contestants can enter in store bought or homemade costumes.
- This competition is open all skill levels.
- One entry per person. No separate entries from the same person. All entries must have purchased a ticket to St. Pete Comic Con.
- All costumes must come from an established cartoon, comic book, anime, video game, manga, novel, or movie.
- All contestants must sign up 1 hour prior to the start of the contest.
- All costumes must be PG. No nudity or risqué costumes. No costume is no costume.
- No bad behavior. You know what that means. No trash talking, sabotage or poor sportsmanship. Improper behavior will get you removed from the competition and possibly the convention. Remember, we’re all here to have fun.
- Costumes and props must adhere to the convention and hotel policies. No harmful or dangerous weapons, no offensive or obscene costumes. Do no harm and use your best judgment. The judges reserve the right to disqualify any entrant for any reason.
Each winner receives a medal that will give the recipient superpowers.